Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Final flight test

This is the final setup which combines all the techy bits. From here in I am really looking at design and construction, which is good since a lot of what I've done so far is not particularly relevant to my Uni course.

So, things to notice: I'm not wearing a hat to look cool (I dont need a hat for that). It has on it the sensors for the head tracking. The hardware of which can bee seen as 4 glowing red dots just in front of the laptop. The headtracking has been setup with a dead zone, so normal movement of the head does not move the view. The view moves when you look to the edges of the screen. This does feel natural, since the cockpit is out of the field of view. I found it particularly good for flicking left and right before turns. I need to tweak it a bit to get the up and down feeling right.

The instrument panel is my laptop taking streaming data across the network as I showed in a previous post. There is no precievable lag as far as I can tell. Next time I wil set up a shadow screen so the projector does not project on to the instruments.

All the other controls are working. I would love to know if there is a way to reduce the strength of the wheel brake, since using it causes the glider to nose plant.

The projected image is about the right size. It is not as high a resolution as I am hoping to have, so the detail quality should come up. And it obviously isnt curved.

There are a few bits that still need finishing up, but I will leave that till it's on the trailer.

No comments: